What is a Parish Nurse?
The term “Parish Nurse" is the title used by the American Nursing Association for nurses who are trained and specialized in working within the faith based community. The ministry focuses on the service, and healing aspects of Christ’s ministry while on earth. The uniqueness of this form of nursing is that it holds to the premise that a person’s spiritual life greatly impacts the physical, psychological and social dimensions in a person’s health and ability to be at their best for service to others. It also strives to enhance the church member’s capacity to live life to the fullest as god intended (John 10:10b). Our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, gifts from God, and it is our responsibility to be good stewards of them.
Why Have a Parish Nurse atCalvaryBibleChurch?
- The most pressing argument for having a Parish Nurse ministry at our church is that it helps to fulfill Christ’s mandate to preach, teach and heal.
- It provides support to families who are hurting through modeling Christ’s interest in an individual’s need.
- It models the work of the New Testament church community.
- It fills in the gap that currently exists in understanding the intricacies of the medical system.
- It provides an opportunity for more individuals to serve others in the community.
If you would like more information, or have a need for the Parish Nurse, please contact Jan Burwitz.